[LMB] late-series copy-editing/copyediting/copy editing

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Fri Sep 18 17:15:57 BST 2015

> On Sep 18, 2015, at 9:55 AM, Marc Wilson <marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> The other ambiguity that is being illogically resolved is accepting 12:00 AM and 12:00 PM.   Those shouldn’t exist!
>
> 12 AM is midnight, 12 PM is midday.  I don't see the problem (though I'm
> more in favour of 24-hour clocks for any important use).

12 M is noon , 12 MM is midnight.   M stands for meridian.

But why are we using latin anyway?

> Based on the fact that 12:00:01 AM is definitely in the morning, so
> 12:00:00 is held to be the dividing line, and the same for PM.
>
> You could argue the other way, of course, but it's the convention.

11:59 PM is definitely in the evening, so 12:00:00 is the dividing line, being neither morning nor evening.   You can argue the other way, but it is illogical.

I avoid ambiguity by never assuming someone else has the same understanding of which date midnight is on, nor whether noon is before noon or after noon.

Hey, lets meet at noon afternoon today, and maybe noon before noon tomorrow?