[LMB] late-series copy-editing/copyediting/copy editing

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Fri Sep 18 20:05:51 BST 2015

> On Sep 18, 2015, at 12:47 PM, Sylvia McIvers <sylviamcivers at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 9:38 AM, Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:
>

>> Yes.    And I’ve been to Ne-vay-da (but the state isn’t pronounced the
>> Spanish way either).    The city of Pueblo, CO has old timers who pronounce
>> it in an Anglicized way, but that is dying out.
>> --
>>

> what 2 ways are there of pronouncing Pueblo?
>
> Sylvia

http://www.usends.com/Explore/Colorado/placenames.html

Pueblo: PWEB-low
A few people have written to let me know it's still quite common to hear PYEB-low, even among some residents of the city and county. I've also heard PEB-low, and Bright's book says some old-timers even used to say pyoo-EBB-low, for heaven's sake. (Someone wrote to say she remembers her grandfather saying "pyoo-EBB-low" in the 1970s. She thought he was joking, referring to the way the steel mill created such a foul smell in the area.) May this be the generation that puts that nonsense to rest. The Spanish translates to "town" or "village", and is more accurately pronounced PWAY-blo. - See more at: http://www.usends.com/Explore/Colorado/placenames.html#Spanish