[LMB] OT: breaking rules Wrede works

Paula Lieberman paal at filker.org
Sat Sep 19 05:28:05 BST 2015

Cordelia had been a -Betan Survey Captain- exercised independent command of
a ship jumping through blind wormholes--had Aral ever been in a position
where he was a commander in an -isolated- ship,  as opposed to a mid-level
commander in a much tighter force structure? His mission in  the war Ezar
rigged to rid the universe of Prince Serg and the War Party apparatus, was
to be the fellow picking up the pieces leading the retreat tail between the
legs losing the war, back to Barrayar preserving as many people and ships as
possible after the planned destruction of the flagship with Serg and his
cronies.  He was acting on he direct orders of the Emperor, and his chain of
command, involved personal submission to the Emperor. Cordelia, on the other
hand, was operating as an independent commander, responsible to the people
on her ship and its survey mission, and with wide lattitude as regards
goals/missions/order.

Barrayar, loyatly and responsibility were personal relationships up the
chain of command to the Emperor.  Beta, the person at the top of the
political hierarchy, was an elected official, and it was not the person, but
the office, with the power--and Betan Survey Captains were out with their
responsibility NOT to the political leadership, but to the research and
discovery and exploration mandates, -not- politics and life-oaths to
hereditary nobility and monarchs.

It's a different social system--Beta had allegiance to values, Barrayar has
sworn loyalty to persons.

Aral was sworn to the Emperor, Cordelia's original loyalties were to her
subordinate, her mission, and her values.

Aral ceded Bothari to Ges Vorrutyer and Prince Serg; Cordelia remanded
Dubauer [spelling] to his family.  Aral know that Vorrutyer and Serg were
going to drive Bothari into chronic sociopathy and undo any and all social
salvage effort Aral had managed with Bothari--but Aral was obedient to the
hierarcharcy of Barrayar and not someone raised to or in a position to buck
the system to stand up for Bothari.

As a minor he had rebelled against Emperor Yuri--but it was after  surviving
the attack ordered by Yuri effecting the murder of his mother, his older
brothers, and others with him as witness.  The Emperor had broken the
loyalty contract of Emperor to family and subjects when he ordered the
murder of his relative who included Arals mother and her children and Aral's
aunt; Aral vowed revenge for both his personal losses, and for the Emperor's
more general madness/betrayal of the personal obligations of his position as
Emperor, to his subjects--as with Donna a generation later, the occupant of
the position was abusing it and not using it for the well-being of his
subjects.

Cordelia, again, was from outside the Barrayaran system.  Her position
before quitting Beta, required her to exercise her own judgment far from any
other Betan presence, as an independent power, and not as a personaly sworn
to a hereditary superior vassal.

Miles is a different animal than Cordelia, he was personally sworn to
Emperor Gregor for essentially his entire life, a vassal.  He might not
always consciously think of that, but it was something always with him...
and when faced with him turning to have been engaged in  de faco treason,
his action was to hand the private army over to the Emperor, as a personal,
heartfelt gift of vassal to liege.

Short of that, though... Miles' legal superiors and lieges as a child
consisted of exactly three people--Emperor Gregor Vorbarra, whom Miles had
sworn himself in all games playing real and imaginary,  Lord later Count
Aral Vorkosigan Miles' adored father, and Count Piotry Vorkosigan, whom
Bothari the scary bodyguard was around Miles to prevent Count Piotr from
extripating Miles--and from whom Lord Aral Vorkosigan was somewhat estranged
early-on in Miles' life.

The rold of Lady Vorkosigan in Miles' life was more complicated--she was
not -of- Barrayar, and was Other, even though she was his mother and highly
involved in his upbringing--but his upbringing was that of Barrayaran
Count's Heir, not that of a Betan democrat....

--Paula Lieberman