[LMB] OT: Hissy fits, was copyedit con't

M. Haller Yamada thefabmadamem at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 19 09:05:44 BST 2015

LOL, defined that way, OK. But to me, a hiss is the sound of air escaping -- a
hissing cat is definitely back-in-the-throat when a human copies it. A hissing tire
that's been punctured, OK.

To the dictionary! Huh, google's dictionary is no help; they do mention the "as of
an s" in the verb description (which leaves wiggle room for hissing "h" and "f"),
but they get circular. Hissing is sibilant, sibilant is hissing. So, I guess we are
left to our own devices and mouth experiments. At any rate, I think Lois is fine
when her characters hiss without Ss.

Micki