[LMB] OT: Kindle Famliy Library

Katrina Allis k.m.allis at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 09:24:21 BST 2015

On 20 September 2015 at 03:58, Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:

> > On Sep 19, 2015, at 8:50 PM, Marc Wilson <marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > Anyone else using this?
> >
> > On the plus side, it allows sharing with another adult.  (So, not
> > friendly to non-traditional family setups).
> >
> > On the downside, it defaults to sharing *everything*, which is a PITA if
> > (a) you have a lot of books and (b) there's a small overlap in what you
> > like [1].
> >
> > If anyone's found a way to change this default and/or bulk unshare,
> > please let me know.
> >
> > [1] I have a lot of SF, the BB likes romance novels.  We cross over on
> > thrillers - and "Shards”!

Yes - it introduction was a huge relief to fiance and myself as we have a
huge overlap in books and means we only need to buy one (and occasionally
two if book is also required hardcopy and sometimes three if fiance buys
audio too), rather than two copies.  _The Martin_ is a classic example of
where we ended up with four copies.

First: as Howard said, and although I haven't used the option yet, as
fiance has said he might try some of the romance novels I buy, but when you
purchase a book there is indeed the option of selecting whether or not you
share it with the household.  (I may start doing this in future as
realistically he's not likely to read them.)

Second, if you use the 'show device' option for your kindle contents, then
it only shows books you've added to your kindle. If you use 'show cloud' or
'show all' (I forget which it is and my kindle isn't too hand) then it will
show books in the household.  You can download books to your kindle from
the cloud as you wish, then switch your view back to device and it will
only show what you have on the kindle again.

Third (and I've tested this as I write), you can go to your Amazon account
and find the Manage Content and Devices Section.  If you click on the
ellipses button by the book you no longer wish to share with the household,
there is an option that says 'Manage Family Library'.  If you click on that
link it then gives you the option to remove it from the Household Library.
You can add it back into the Library in the same way.  I'm not certain
whether or not you can do this en masse as I haven't tested that, so it
might be an initial time-consuming job, but after that fairly easy to
manage.

Hope that helps!

Katrina