[LMB] OT: Pronunciations (was Re: late-seriescopy-editing/copyediting/copy editing)

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Sun Sep 20 20:16:43 BST 2015

On Sat, 19 Sep 2015 22:51:29 -0700, "A. Marina Fournier"
<saffronrose at me.com> wrote:

>On 19 Sep 2015, at 07:12, Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:
>> I like the pronunciation of the name of the protagonist in _The Rook_.   It was *not* pronounced the traditional way.    I see time and again, parents picking how to pronounce their kids’ names.
>
>Family name spelled: Fruitwarbler-Mangrove
>Family name pronounced:   Smith
>
>Joke a friend of mine uses a lot.

There was actually a case like that I heard about many years ago.

Someone who'd anglicized his name stood to inherit a substantial wedge
from a great-uncle (IIRC), on the condition that he changed his name
back to the bad Polish scrabble hand that was the family surname in the
Old Country.  He did so, and got the loot, but stipulated it was to be
pronounced "Smith".