[LMB] OT: Hissy fits, was copyedit con't

M. Haller Yamada thefabmadamem at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 23 03:16:22 BST 2015

Judy:
Wait -- hasn't anybody mentioned the possibility that it -- "Hissy Fits" --
refers to hysterical fits?  I first heard it as a child talking about a
younger sibling having such, and that's always been my interpretation.
Nothing to do with hiss.

Entwife Judy

Micki: Huh. Possibly. At any rate, I think Paula made a fun pun. And knowing the
etymology, I find it even more amusing since, well, I do have a hystera. And this
is really such a silly nitpick -- hissing can be done with more than just an sss,
and I can see in my mind people psychically hissing. I wonder what the
hystera/hystera-less ratio is of people who mind terribly about fictional
characters hissing about, "You'll never get my bananas, Claude!"