[LMB] caps, again

Nancy Barber nlbarber at alumni.emory.edu
Wed Sep 23 04:41:24 BST 2015

> On Sep 22, 2015, at 7:54 AM, Lois McMaster Bujold <lbujold at myinfmail.com> wrote:
>
> (D/district should follow the rules for US S/states, I figure. Anyone know those offhand?)

For my work, I am to use the (US) GPO Style Manual, which offers this:
Names of countries, domains, and administrative divisions
3.19. 	The official designations of countries, national domains, and
        their principal administrative divisions are capitalized only
        if used as part of proper names, as proper names, or as proper
        adjectives. (See Chapter 17, Principal Foreign Countries
        table.)

          United States: the Republic; the Nation; the Union; the
              Government; also Federal, Federal Government; but
              republic (when not referring specifi cally to one such
              entity); republican (in general sense); a nation devoted
              to peace
          New York State: the State, a State (a definite political
              subdivision of fi rst rank); State of Veracruz; Balkan
              States; six States of Australia; State rights; but state
              (referring to a federal government, the body politic);
              foreign states; church and state; statehood; state's
              evidence
          Territory (Canada): Yukon, Northwest Territories; the
              Territory(ies), Territorial; but territory of American
              Samoa, Guam, Virgin Islands
          Dominion of Canada: the Dominion; but dominion (in general
              sense)
          Ontario Province, Province of Ontario: the Province,
              Provincial; but province, provincial (in general sense)
and
3.21. 	A descriptive term used to denote a definite region, locality,
        or geographic feature is a proper name and is therefore
        capitalized; also for temporary distinction a coined name of a
        region is capitalized.

        the North Atlantic States
        the Gulf States
        the Central States
        the Pacific Coast States
        the Lake States
        East North Central States
        Eastern North Central States
(http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/GPO-STYLEMANUAL-2008/html/GPO-STYLEMANUAL-2008-5.htm <http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/GPO-STYLEMANUAL-2008/html/GPO-STYLEMANUAL-2008-5.htm>)

Basically for my work, where I’m generally writing about US States (and the water-use statistics thereof), I always capitalize “State".

  Nancy