[LMB] AKICOT:L moving domain names

mmjustus at mmjustus.com mmjustus at mmjustus.com
Wed Sep 23 06:38:42 BST 2015

So. The domain names for my two websites are registered through GoDaddy,
which I first put together in 2007 (ye godlings, yes, that long ago) back
when I didn't know any better. I have my webhosting through A Small Orange,
who are generally fantastic, and I want to switch my domain name
registrations over to them, too.

But apparently this is not possible unless you're a lot smarter and more
Internet savvy than I am. ASO is more than willing to help and step me
through their side of things, as they have with other things many times
before (the cliché champagne service on a beer budget is not an inapt
description of them in general), but, obviously, they cannot help me with
the GoDaddy side of things. GoDaddy is living up to their reputation (which
I didn't know about when I signed up with them), being as obstructionist and
obfuscating as corporately possible.

Reading the so-called instructions is beyond hopeless. The words are in
English, and they do appear to be structured in grammatically sound
sentences, but otherwise they might as well be written in Swahili. Or
Klingon. The "help" chat is -- I'd say less than helpless, but that's
insulting the word helpless.

I feel like a bloody hostage, but I don't know how to get myself out of this
situation.  Assume that I have no clue how to do anything.  The following is
what the Small Orange support guy said I needed to do:  "What you'll need to
do is log in to your godaddy account, and make sure that your domain names
are unlocked, and that any who-is privacy is disabled. Also make sure the
who-is information for your domain name is up to date and valid," The only
thing I see here that I have a clue how to do is logging into my account.
Someone else said I need to "If you have DBP, you'll first have to cancel
that," and provided a link to a page that I have no idea what to do with.

Yes, I know I shouldn't be such an imbecile about this, but all I can do
from here is get help and try to learn.

Has anyone here ever extracted themselves from GoDaddy's clutches and lived
to tell the tale? If so, would you be willing to hold my hand as we get *me*
out of them? I figure it can't hurt to ask...

Megaera