[LMB] Language, cultures, & diminutives

Paula Lieberman paal at filker.org
Fri Sep 25 16:10:26 BST 2015

Ah, but they don't--the lesserly competent world builders default to what
they see every day, the better worldbuilders build cultures where the
cultures and values of the determine clothing, speech patterns, etc.

Debra Doyle and Jim Macdonald in Price of the Stars, had Beka masquerading
as male with her hair in a long queue--the society men could and did have
long hair, and she was successfully masequerading as male.

Lois from the get-go showed cultural clashes with the differences with
Barrayar having gender-determinate clothing types, and Beta being much more
unisex in clothing styles.

--Paula Lieberman