[LMB] M/F LMB Readership

Sylvia McIvers sylviamcivers at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 17:50:05 BST 2015

On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 7:18 AM, Paula Lieberman <paal at filker.org> wrote:

> <snip very interesting information>
> One of the things ebooks have to offer, is that the covers are not on
> display in bookstores or where there have generally been  misogynistic male
> (or misogynistic women..) gatekeepers playing de facto rejection
> filters--years ago truck drivers who delivered books to bookracks in
> supermarkets and other stores, made the decisions about what books got on
> racks in stores.  Covers which -they- liked, went on the shelves--and
> people can't buy on a whim, books which aren't present on shevles.

 Really? If the store manager orders something, the truck driver can decide
not to deliver? Or they can unpack and shelve one box (if the union allows
it) and not shelve another with an icky cover - but the manager would
certainly readjust shelivng as needed.

Now, if you're going to tell me that the -manager- won't buy icky covers,
I'd be more likely to believe you.

Sylvia