[LMB] M/F LMB Readership

Paula Lieberman paal at filker.org
Fri Sep 25 23:47:40 BST 2015

I did write, "years ago."

My sources were Tom Doherty, and David Drake who was a guest at Not Just
Another Con at University of Massachusetts I forget how many years ago, who
was wearing a t-shirt and/or a cap wih one of his Hammers Slammers
bookcovers, which had a tank or it or some such. The clothing item(s) had
been produced by the publisher for distributors to persuade truck drivers to
distribute the books....

My points included that ebooks  cand and do have covers which include ones
aimed at the readers marginalized by covers designed to appeal to
male -truck drivers-.   The ebooks have the covers pubishers, who include
self-publishing authors, think will appeal to people who will
like/appreciate/want to read what's inside the books, as opposed to e.g.
a) truck drivers delivering books to rack
b) chain store book buyers getting 30 seconds if that a cover to decide if
the buyer is going to order copies of the books for the chain and how many
c) bookstore owners deciding from publishers catalogs what books to order

The book buying market has changed big time, there's good news, there's bad
news--there are a LOT more authors competing for attention, and even a lot
of publishers expect prospective authors to provide them with marketing
provisions the authors will commit to making....

--Paula Lieberman