[LMB] M/F LMB Readership

Paula Lieberman paal at filker.org
Sat Sep 26 00:26:26 BST 2015

The three Market Baskets in the town I live in * went from several
bookcases, each with five or six shelves, to two rotating racks of
paperbacks, to one rotating rack,  to a single checkout counter endcap of
paperbacks, over the past several years. The stores do NOT seem to make the
decision about what goes on the endcap, instead a disributor lists
"bestsellers" according to I presume pre-ordering done by the book
distributor, and fills the slots of the pitfual endcap (something like five
to seven tiers, five more or less wire pockets for paperbacks per tier, and
three or four depending on book thickness, copies of a paperback per pocket.
There's a list of bestsellers according to the distributor and the books
present are from  the list.  Not every book on the list is present on each
endcapt in each store.

Recent books which I remember seeing the past few months on endcaps include
Siren by Jayne Ann Krentz writing at Jayne Ann Castle, some Regency or
Victorian historical romance, Clive Cussler "prestige" format "tal"
paperbacks, some contemporary non-Harlequin romances, and sundry other
books, such as similiar to Cussler of being action-adventure or thrillers.
None of them seem to sell all that well, it's a case not of what the
supermarket does, of keeping close track of what is and isn;t selling in
each store...

Market Basket's estimated profit margins are 8% --yes, if you know what
typical margins are in supermarkets, you're probably goggling and going
"that's GOT to be wrong" to which the response is -"Uh-uh, that's the
estimate, Market Basket is perhaps the best-run supermarket chain in the
USA.  It bucks all the conglomerate run-by-MBA-CEOs dogma, the CEO started
off working as a teenaged bagger at the bottom of the hierarchy, even though
he was a member of the famiy which founded and owned the chain The managers
all started at the bottom and worked their way up.  Managers are hand-on,
and do display set-up.  Restocking is live in the middle of the day, and
store associates have responsibilities for particular aisles and sections of
stores, and interact with the customers.   There are no loyalty cards.
Price checkers recently went into the stores, one at the ends of aisles very
few aisles.  Lots of items are individually price-marked, with the labels
applied manually with labelling guns.

Different stores carry different items, base on what's selling in the
particular stores.

The books appear to be a concession sort of thing, it's not what's selling
in the store which detemines what goes on the endcap rack, it's what the
distributor delivers to the store as "bestseller" lists... the store
employees might put the books out, but they're not monitoring the sales they
way they are clearly visible during store hours with handheld scanners for
inventory control in the groceries etc. aisles, restocking the shelves,
moving items from the back of the shelves forward as customers take items
off the shelves, etc.

Anyway, this is  very long digression--the merchandise on store shelves
comes in different varieties, of what the individual store managers and
associates are keeping track of an -know- and know their customers' buying
patterns, and then there's what the suppliers pay to place... placement of
stuff on supermarket shelves and aisles, often involves deals from
distributors and manufacturers and other suppliers.... the bottom line for
profit, though, is if an item does not -sell-, the store is not getting as
much profit as it would if the item were -selling-, even if a distributor or
supplier is paying a display fee!

The faster merchandise turns pver, the more profit the store makes per
square foot of selling space  If there merchandise sits there, the only
"profit" is what the store is being paid, if anything, for a
supplier/distributor paying for space to promote the product... but then the
distributor/supplier is -losing- money if the product fails to sell, or gets
marked down by the store to be gotten rid of before the expiration date (for
perishables)!

* there are three Market Baskets, and no -other- supermarkets... when Purity
pulled out of the north end of town to move into a stripmall created in the
center of town, Market Basket, which is headquartered less than ten miles
away, announced it would put a supermarket in replacing the hole opened
up--the townfolk in the north part of town had been upset that they were
losing a supermarket (yes, there are more than a million reasons why the
Market Basket crisis last year played out the way it played out, the public
turned activist/participatory) and were very happy that Market Basket
stepped in to fill the hole  Meanwhile, Puritey decided to sell itself to a
conglomerate and to shut down the in-town warehouse. Between that, and
people in town being ticked off at the "Berlin Mall" replacing a house and
barn which had turned out to be on the historic register which no one had
happened to notice/pay attention to, the townsfolk stopped patroning the
Purity.. so it closed, and what replaced the empty big footpring foodstore,
was a local hardware store which got to massively expands its space.  That
left the town with three Market Basket supermarkets, and thtat's where the
situaiton has sat for something like 15+ years now!) hundreds of thousands
of res

--Paula Lieberman