[LMB] M/F LMB Readership

Paula Lieberman paal at filker.org
Sat Sep 26 14:24:28 BST 2015

That business strategy around here gets -clobbered- by Market Basket!

The longer/larger and more complicated the
supply/demand/consumption/supply-management tree is, the the less
"responsive" it is.

Hiring cheap clueless "non-stakeholder" scutwork labor do be Simon Says
drones means no informed clues about what/what customers are or are not
buying things and no informed buying pattern information.

The big companies can track sales based on when the retailers get around to
reporting sales and how detailed the information is about day of week, time
of day, weather..

Store employees thinking about making a career, who benefit from company
profit-sharing programs, are a lot more motivated to notice and report "in
Massachusetts, when there's a snowstorm warning, people buy lots of ice
cream"  [that one is actually a no-brainer in Massachusetts, anyone with a
pair of working eyes and a hint of clue can see that for themselves going
shopping here.

Making that correlation is a lot more difficult and time-consuming and
complex and subject to error, if there isn;'t anyone directly on site making
the observations and the direct correlation between -local- weather
predictions and the ice cream freezers in stores going empty from customer
purchases.

Other things--local festivals, times of years which have celebrations of
various types among various different groups, per store patterns of ethnic
groceries purchase.... the southernmost Market Basket in town is the
largest, but the produce items vary from store to store, with the two more
nothern ones carrying different ethnically-appealing produce
vegetables--the reasons is the patterns of preferred purchases vary from
store to store.  The produce department associates in each store know what
sells and what doesn't sells, and the profit-sharing plan means they have a
stake in the store maximizing the produce department sales and profit, and
minimizing carrying items which sit and don't sell until/unless marked down
to sell before they're rotten and a  loss.

Suppliers don't look at such things in that level of detail, it costs more
time and effort and expense than it's worth to them.  They've focused on
what happens in the aggregate, and will happily ship stuff to stores which
the stuff won't sell at at all, because it's too much expense/effort for
them do bother with tuning as oposed to e.g. Red Lobster selling advertising
nationally, and Red Lobster ads going on TV in markets where there isn;t a
Red Lobster restaraunt within dozens of miles, or even in the state!

(That is, there are NO Red Lobster restaurants in Massachusetts--yet, the
Boston TV stations have Red Lobster ads on them--the conglomerate owner buys
the advertising nationally, and it goes on the network feed, even though
there is no revenue whatsoever from within Massachusetts, millins of people
see the ads, for a product few people are going to bother driving however
many hours out of state to patronize (want a fresh lobster dinner here? Go
to  a supermarket and have the seafood department associate pull a lobster
out of the tank and cook it in the steam oven, or go to a seafood
restaurant.... why bother going to a place which doesn't tend to use
locally-sourced fish??!)

--Paula Lieberman