[LMB] another hyphenation dilemma

M. Haller Yamada thefabmadamem at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 28 02:38:04 BST 2015

Grammar Girl seems to say that compound adjectives don't need a hyphen when they
come after the noun. "Santa's vest is fire proof," she says on the first page of
this four-page missive.

http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/how-to-use-a-hyphen

In general, it seems to me that UK usage tends to go with more punctuation rather
than less.

I'm not arguing with John's explanation. Just wringing my hands in despair that the
experts don't seem to agree.

Micki P.S. wouldn't gray make a great conjunction? Signifying all the sets between
a range. An alternate to "between". "Her emotions were happy gray ecstatic."