[LMB] another hyphenation dilemma

Walter S Bushell proto at panix.com
Mon Sep 28 17:46:41 BST 2015

> On Sep 28, 2015, at 08:22, Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:
>

>> On Sep 27, 2015, at 9:55 PM, M. Haller Yamada <thefabmadamem at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> Merriam-Webster isn't very much help. They say bigheaded is when someone is
>> conceited. But so is big-headed, according to them.
>
> It reports on what it finds, within limits.   And we’re not consistent.

And really who has time to attend to these details or notice them particularly
in fiction? (As contrasted to works that explicitly require conformity to a
particular style manual.) I mean, no doubt people without a life and probably
have time to watch TV.

I need to get back to reading the Pheado.

Do famous grammarians ever produce anything of note?

The Platypus Walter Bushell after Ogden Nash

Friends behold the Platypus,
We laugh at how he looks to us.
But then in moments dark and grim,
I wonder how we smell to him.