[LMB] Lagging edges, was M/F LMB Readership

Paula Lieberman paal at filker.org
Mon Sep 28 19:51:34 BST 2015

Local stores?
They try to not have "excess inventory" either, when/where there are "local
stores."

"Down in the cellar" -- modern facilities don't have cellars, they're slab
concrete foundation buildings.
"Back room" --storage space is at a premium in stores.  Space not devoted to
shelved merchandise, is space that merchandise is not selling from...
there's a reasons one of the retail metrics is "sales per square [foot in
the USA, meter I presume in most of the rest of the world]"

ObBujold--have there been scenes in Lois' book where the viewpoint character
is someone who's a retail workers?

Dag's a Patroller, Fawn's straight off the farm when she runs into Dag.
Other characters who are major, include Fawn's siblings, riverboat crew,
other Patrollers, etc.

The 4G5G world major characters include nobles, royals, hunters.. no
shopkeepers that I recall.

The Nexus, major characters include extended royal family members, space
service/military members particularly officiers, space militia/mercenaries,
the odd scientist or engineer,  some political leaders, government
functionaries and their families, m/i/n/i/o/n/s those economically and/or
socially directly dependent upon them (armsmen, cooks, etc.) antagonists,
and those they work with as coworkers, subordinates, or superiors.

Shopkeepers appear that I can recall primarily when leads/main characters go
out shopping...

--Paula Lieberman