[LMB] another hyphenation dilemma

M. Haller Yamada thefabmadamem at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 29 02:19:10 BST 2015

Thank you, John. I love a bit of history.

I think it does boil down to choose a style manual and a dictionary, and stick
with it. Unfortunately, when writing in a field of new words (or lots of made-up
ones), not everything is going to be in the reference books, so it helps to know
why my style manual chose the rules it does, and then extrapolate.

I used to use the AP Style Manual, but unfortunately, the people behind that are
writing as a guide for American newspapers. American magazines seem to go with
the Chicago Manual of Style, and I have heard rumors that most U.S. publishers
do, too. I'm hating CMoS, but I suspect a lot of that is learning curve.

I'm thinking about changing my dictionary, though. I find it really handy to have
the Merriam-Webster dictionary online, and CMoS recommends Webster's Third New
International Dictionary as well as the abridgment, Merriam-Webster's Collegiate
Dictionary. But they don't seem to be very precise with the compound words. Maybe
I need to pay to get that higher level of precision . . . .

Anyway, I can't tell you how glad I am to now know that (!) was known as
*punctus admirativus*. Why do I find that so hilarious? (-: I may need therapy . . . .

Micki