[LMB] Thoughts on cryo-tubes, low berths, and other such gadgets

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Wed Sep 30 00:40:47 BST 2015

> On Sep 29, 2015, at 5:10 PM, Damien Sullivan <phoenix at mindstalk.net> wrote:
>
> From what other listies say there are other kinds, but I haven't seen
> them; I'd say coldsleep or corpsicles are the norm.
>
> A few come to mind:
>
> Redemption Ark
> Freefall
> Star Trek: Space Seed
> B-5: Geometry of Shadows
>
> ...and I'm sure a lot more, but I seem to be blanking

A lot of older ones, such as _Door Into Summer_, which mentioned “The Sleeper Awakes".   I remember one which used General Relativity to keep a rich man alive until a cure was found.

I loved the book _Age of the Pussyfoot_ by Pohl.   In that case a rich man set up a cryogenic facility “for firemen” (and himself), and the book is about a fireman who got burned and used it.    The magic of compound interest was enough to finally pay for his cure, and he lived in a pussyfoot future world.

And we have time travel as a side effect of relativity - as in _The Forever War_.

Card had “hot sleep”, which in his stories never made sense to me.   Why did the characters choose it?