[LMB] The Birthday Tixie Drops the Wand

M. Haller Yamada thefabmadamem at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 30 01:12:42 BST 2015

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. I was in the kitchenette, having a cup of tea with
Mieke, when she mentioned that her birthday had been on September 25th. I was
horrified. I hadn't even been in the kitchenette since the 24th, and I was
getting up the courage to see if there was a zombified birthday cake in the oven
when suddenly, the Tardis appeared in the kitchenette, ripping out the overhead
exhaust fan.

Dr. Who had that let's-save-the-universe look on his face as he gestured us into
the odd machine, but then he pushed us out on Friday. I opened the oven to find
beautiful, delicate vanilla sponge decorated with orange jellies and a filigree
of thready, crunchy melted sugar.

"Everlasting Cake!" The kitchenette filled with listees, all congratulating Mieke
on her 65th birthday, and taking a slice. Ah, Ma Kosti really is the best baker
in all the universes!

The kitchenette was so crowded that I could barely lift my arm to wave the Tixie
Wand. A million sparkles filled the air, and settled on our skin with
ticklish little zings.

Dr. Who said something that sounded like, "Hey, lady, can I give you a ride back
to the future?" I couldn't hear very well across the noisy room. Mieke took him
up on his offer, and headed off for a lovely adventure in the time and dimension
of her choice.

I, on the other hand, missed my ride, and was forced to spend the next five days
inside the Chicago Manual of Style. I probably deserved it.

So, happy belated birthday, Mieke, and we hope your whole month was filled with
happiness and good reading!