[LMB] Language, cultures, & diminutives

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 30 15:15:57 BST 2015

> From: Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk

> On Tue, 29 Sep 2015 10:20:20 -0600, Roberta Wright
> > In that usage, Daddy isn't a diminutive, it is and endearment.

> Nevertheless, "Daddy" is what *children* call their father.

It is in your culture, or family, it is. But obviously in the South it's also used
by adults, and if it's common and taken for granted by those who use it,
it doesn't have some of the connotations for them that it would carry for you.

I wonder if there's any connection with 'Big Daddy' as a term for a
powerful man - similar to Godfather in some other cultures.

Gwynne