[LMB] Who says boys don't like to play with dolls?

Damien Sullivan phoenix at mindstalk.net
Tue Apr 5 20:06:08 BST 2016

On Tue, Apr 05, 2016 at 11:37:40AM -0600, Pat Mathews wrote:
> > On Sun, Apr 03, 2016 at 08:30:18AM -0500, Lois McMaster Bujold wrote:
> > > I think Charlie Stross had a book about this.
> > >
> > > http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/02/01/sex.robot/index.html?iref=allsearch
> >
> > That face is... not to my aesthetic taste.
> > *checks website*  Realdoll is a lot better at this.
> >
> > > Also, _Chobits_.  Not to mention _Pygmalion_, of course.
> >
> > Or _Silver Metal Lover_?
> >
> Silver Metal Lover was a girl playing with a big boy-doll.  He was obviously an Asimov-programmed AI of high quality, unlike the fembots of today. But then, consumers of fembots probably wouldn't want a doll with a mind of its own!

The persocoms of Chobits were of varying levels of sapience or
complexity, up to passing the Turing Test.  (And purchased by both
sexes.)  The original Pygmalion myth was about making a real woman out
of a statue.  _Saturn's Children_ was about fully sapient bots (extra
creepy/unethical since their minds were basically electronic simulations
of brains, so the robots were heavily 'conditioned' electronic humans,
rather than designed from scratch AI like the persocoms.)

In short, the SML robot doesn't sound distinct from other fictional sex
bots (I think going back to Asimov himself.)  They're *all* distinct
from the primitive things today.

Many sex workers have said their clients often want the companionship as
much as the physical sex.  Men can want human interaction and
unconditional love as much as women.  The consumers not wanting a mind
of its own?  Not to the extent of *leaving*, no, but a mind that could
be engaging and surprising within the "loves me" constraint, yes, lots
of people would want that.

-xx- Damien X-)