[LMB] What animals would the Firsters have brought to Barrayar-to-be?

Damien Sullivan phoenix at mindstalk.net
Thu Apr 7 06:35:23 BST 2016

On Tue, Apr 05, 2016 at 07:27:20AM -0400, Karen Hunt wrote:

> Would you believe ... red deer? _Barrayar_ has mention of them as farmed:
> (Piotr talking to Cordelia while fleeing into mountains)
> We've passed about twenty little homesteads, so far tonight. All the
> people, and their cows, and their goats, and their red deer, and their
> horses, and their children. We're straws in a haystack.
>
> See http://vorkosigan.wikia.com/wiki/North_Continent for as complete an
> answer as I've been able to find in canon.

Though it's also possible additional animals, like deer or fish,  were
imported *after* the Time of Isolation.

Seems plausible to me that the 50,000 Firsters wouldn't have had a full
suite of animals, unless they had ova and primitive (not human-ready)
uterine replicators about 4-6 centuries before human URs.  First you
convert enough ecosystem to produce food for all those animals, *then*
you add more animals.

(Horses seem odd for a first-in species on an intended high-tech colony,
but obviously someone brought them.)

-xx- Damien X-)