[LMB] What animals would the Firsters have brought to Barrayar-to-be?

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Fri Apr 8 14:03:54 BST 2016

On Thu, 7 Apr 2016 16:35:31 -0700, Agnes Charrel-Berthillier
<agnes at charrel.net> wrote:

>On 4/7/16 3:22 PM, Karen Hunt wrote:
>
>> And—over in Equinox—wild cockatoos. A couple of pairs of them escaped, or
>> were let loose, several decades ago. They now have these big
>> rainbow-colored birds all over the place, and people will feed them. The
>> sanitation crews wanted to get rid of them, but the Dome shareholders voted
>> them down."
>
>On the real life version of the back to the kind-of-wild cockatoos:
>
>"U.S. researchers are launching studies on Mexico's red-crowned parrot —
>a species that has been adapting so well to living in cities in
>California and Texas after escaping from the pet trade that the
>population may now rival that in its native country."
>
>http://www.usnews.com/news/science/articles/2016-04-02/parrot-species-in-us-cities-may-rival-that-in-native-mexico

We have various parrot-family escapees in the UK too.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/3869815.stm

And small scorpions that live in the brickwork at Ongar Tube station
(and elsewhere).

http://www.jasonsteelwildlifephotography.yolasite.com/uk-scorpions.php
--
All sunshine makes a desert.  - Arabic proverb