[LMB] What animals would the Firsters have brought to Barrayar-to-be?

Baur baur at chello.at
Fri Apr 8 14:48:00 BST 2016

Am 08.04.2016 um 11:22 schrieb Katrina Allis:
> On 8 April 2016 at 09:48, A. Marina Fournier <saffronrose at me.com> wrote:
>

>>> i can one-up you on this - Keas
>>
>> You made me spend 3 hours roaming through Wikipedia!
>>
>> However, I now know much more about avian taxonomy; pests &
>> protection--and the intersection thereof (whyever are possum protected in
>> Ox & NZ?); the formerly-captive/domesticated feral bird populations of the
>> world, Phillip Temple, the only native mammals of NZ, the avian trade
>> (legal and not), relative intelligence of birds, and way too much more with
>> which to bore anyone.
>>
>> But yes, kea are fearsome things in a dome environment, or in an
>> agricultural area.
>>

> Kea are pretty awesome.  Did you watch the old AMI ad?
>
> http://www.advertolog.com/ami/adverts/kea-739955/

here on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr1xhyaYtjE

the university of vienna does intelligence studies with keas in
schönbrunn zoo .. i got to watch once and had a nice talk with one of
the university people (he was keeping watchers and passer byes about 10
meters away for the cage and explained what they were doing there) ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DMjoqzPcP0

servus

markus

> Possums, however, are not, and are not protected in NZ (other
> than prevention of cruelty to animals type stuff).  They are an invasive
> omnivorous species who eat the native ground-nesting bird's eggs and young,
> kill trees etc etc.  There is a small business industry around possum fur
> (possum fur wool is really warm and cozy), but I don't think that's a good
> trade off for the environment.  We used to go on holiday and see trees with
> big steel collars on near the base that were too wide for possums to climb
> over, and hopefully save the trees from being killed by possums.  The
> Department of Conservation has and continues to put a lot of effort into
> reducing the possum population.
>
> I'd send them all back to Australia if I could.  Not an option,
> unfortunately, because of Australia's biosecurity laws.  They're protected
> in Australia because they're a native animal there and I think are
> endangered?
>
> There are tongue-in-check souvenirs around in NZ that say things like
> 'Possums: New Zealand's little speed bump' - but they're also
> semi-serious.
>
> If I had to choose between removing all the wild rabbits from NZ or all the
> possums, it would be a really hard choice.
>
> Have any of you read Karen Traviss' Wess'har series (City of Pearl etc)?  I
> have a certain sympathy for the environment-friendly Wess'har.
>
> Katrina

Email from my mobile connection.