[LMB] What animals would the Firsters have brought to Barrayar-to-be? (now totally OT:)

Hilary Powers hilary at powersedit.com
Sun Apr 10 18:17:45 BST 2016

On 4/9/2016 4:55 PM, Katherine Collett wrote:
> On Apr 8, 2016, at 7:39 AM, A. Marina Fournier <saffronrose at me.com> wrote:
>>
>> For reasons I do not understand, many people consider American opossums to be cute. I have never been able to see the critter, especially after dark, glaring at me with beady eyes, sharp teeth bared under a pointy snout. A baby hedgehog is cute. A Little Owl is cute. An opossum creeps me out. Oz/kiwi possums, sans 'o', are more attractive but just as much a nuisance.
>
> Yeah, here's a link to a photo I took of an opossum on our deck this February: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10100178389048732&l=ee95e5eefc
>
> Even with sparkly snow on its fur, not really cute.

Nonetheless, one of the memories I cherish most involves an American
opossum....

Evening SCA fighter practice at the BART station, Duke Steven of
Beckenham dumps his armor bag on the pavement. Out rolls his helmet, and
out of the helmet stalks a totally pissed-off possum.

Possum snarls, turns, and waddles off.

Duke S arms up, shakes a few redwood twigs out of his helmet, and puts
it on.

The helmet hits the ground with a crash and a howl likely to trigger
every nanny filter in the e-ther rings out from its owner.

Possums mark their beds with the fluid most readily available to them. A
lot.

--
-       Hilary Powers - hilary at powersedit.com - Oakland CA         -
- "Making Word 2010 Work for You" - www.the-efa.org/res/booklets.php -