[LMB] Betan Earthquake preparedness

Peter Newman pnewman at gci.net
Sat Apr 16 13:11:53 BST 2016

 "M. Haller Yamada" <thefabmadamem at yahoo.com> wrote

> We are all are sad about the loss of life and destruction of property. But I think
> Cordelia would use Japanese procedures as a starting point for "how to prepare for
> earthquakes and volcanoes." It could have been much, much worse if people didn't
> follow the rules and regulations.

Are you sure that the Betan way to prepare for earthquakes and volcanoes isn’t to
be good enough at science to be able to predict them far enough ahead of time to
simply evacuate the areas likely to be hardest hit?

Also - does it really matter what the ground is doing when you’re up in your light flyer
anyway, because you were warned ahead of time?

Given the almost entirely desert climate of Beta colony it seems as if they would not
have much in the way of tsunami preparedness; although given that Beta Colony is mostly
underground flooding could be a problem for those rare areas that are near water.

On the other hand maybe Beta Colony isn’t that tectonically active to begin with.

What’s the text evidence for earthquakes and earthquake preparedness in the nexus?