[LMB] Betan Earthquake preparedness

beatrice_otter beatrice_otter at haugensgalleri.com
Mon Apr 18 00:12:17 BST 2016

On Apr 16, 2016 8:40 PM, "M. Haller Yamada" <thefabmadamem at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Example: Kareenberg. Maybe the Betans refused to share technology, or the
> Barrrayarans were too proud (or too short-sighted, or too stoic about natural
> disasters) to ask for a "complete survey." Assuming one would have been
> developed.

Uh, I'm pretty sure they knew about the natural disasters from the beginning, they just didn't care.  They wanted a cache to store supplies in for the Escobar invasion, and there were some great caves in the mountain range that the volcano was in.  They weren't thinking "where is a good long-term place to put a city?" they were thinking "where is a good place to stash a huge amount of supplies temporarily?"  Whole different calculation.  And then, when settlement of the planet began, they were already there with all the stuff, so they just ... stayed there.  But now that they're actively colonizing, they need to think long-term, and that's what Cordelia was doing.

Beatrice Otter