[LMB] Betan Earthquake preparedness

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Tue Apr 19 11:12:12 BST 2016

On Apr 18, 2016, at 7:01 PM, anmar.mirza at gmail.com wrote:

>> On Apr 16, 2016, at 8:11 AM, Peter Newman <pnewman at gci.net> wrote:
>>
>> On the other hand maybe Beta Colony isn’t that tectonically active to begin with.
>
> It is unlikely to be so.  A desert world most probably would not have the kind of plate tectonics that drive basaltic seafloor spreading, subduction zones, continental accretions, and the bringing up of water from deep in the mantle that keeps oceans active across the geological life of a planet.  That plus tectonic activity tends to keep atmospheres alive and the textev is Beta only has the barest of atmospheres.

I had no idea!

> (sorry, geologist nerd mode activated)

Please be as much as a geology nerd as you want, around me. I've always been fascinated by tectonic geology. I met relatively mild quakes early on, and took an interest in mostly tectonic geology equally early.

I noticed in watching footage of the Japanese quakes that I was more unsettled than when I'm in one.

A. Marina Fournier
Saffronrose at me.com