[LMB] Betan Earthquake preparedness

BlueRose stacey at xtra.co.nz
Tue Apr 19 11:41:52 BST 2016

On 19/04/2016 10:12 p.m., A. Marina Fournier wrote:
> On Apr 18, 2016, at 7:01 PM, anmar.mirza at gmail.com wrote:
>>> On Apr 16, 2016, at 8:11 AM, Peter Newman <pnewman at gci.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> On the other hand maybe Beta Colony isn’t that tectonically active to begin with.
>> It is unlikely to be so.  A desert world most probably would not have the kind of plate tectonics that drive basaltic seafloor spreading, subduction zones, continental accretions, and the bringing up of water from deep in the mantle that keeps oceans active across the geological life of a planet.  That plus tectonic activity tends to keep atmospheres alive and the textev is Beta only has the barest of atmospheres.
> I had no idea!
>
>> (sorry, geologist nerd mode activated)
> Please be as much as a geology nerd as you want, around me. I've always been fascinated by tectonic geology. I met relatively mild quakes early on, and took an interest in mostly tectonic geology equally early.
>
> I noticed in watching footage of the Japanese quakes that I was more unsettled than when I'm in one.

S - I haven't participated in this thread because having lived through
what happens when you are hit with a massive earthquake, you know there
is nothing you can do to prepare, not really.  If its attached to the
ground, then its at risk.

On the 5th anniversary of our quake that killed 185 people I did a Slate
presentation, with a collection of images I have taken around the city
over the last 5 years

https://slate.adobe.com/cp/qun9r/  - scroll down to view the
presentation on any device

Recently I tried to watch The 33 - a movie about some gold miners who
get trapped underground when their tunnel is caved in by earth
movement.  I lasted about 30 minutes before I had to stop - even now its
too raw and I wasn't even here when the actual quakes hit but I lived
through over 11000 (yes eleven thousand) aftershocks over the next
couple of years.

Stacey