[LMB] Betan Earthquake preparedness

Aruvqan aruvqan at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 17:53:21 BST 2016

How did you guess [the earth shattering shaking and collapse of the bridge?]

I guess I come from a long line of scary prepared women? Having grown up
with lake effect winters [great memories of sledding out the attic
window of the family house.

http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy176/aruvqan/Perry%20House%203_zpsb8bkumum.jpg

The area under the wall facing obliquely to the right is actually the
servant yard, the basement opens into it, it is a semi-oval area where
they used to hang the laundry, it is about 10 feet below grade. Around
the corner is the back side of the attics [you can see the end of the
main room windows at the top of the left face of the house, there is a
wood stove let into the chimney you can see] and we used to sled out of
that right hand attic window into the servants yard, and hollow out the
resulting snow pile. The handyman used to plow the drive into the
servants yard to get rid of the snow. Yup, that is the type of snowfall
we had in the late 60s and 70s. Entire towns would shut down until the
town DOT could get roads plowed out, and out in the countryside, you
could end up snowed in for weeks at a time.

On 4/19/2016 12:26 PM, A. Marina Fournier wrote:
> On Apr 19, 2016, at 7:48 AM, Aruvqan <aruvqan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> We joke about our Natural Disaster Tour of the US
> Was this in '89?
>

> My mother chose not to go home to Syracuse when she left the sperm donor, because of lake effect winters, and chose to live in San Diego, which I didn't return to for a number of reasons, including no perceptible season change save rainy and dry seasons. The seasonal change in the SF Bay Area is enough for now.
>

> I admire your diaster fortitude, but have no interest in emulating your experience!

---