[LMB] Betan Earthquake preparedness

M. Haller Yamada thefabmadamem at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 20 01:04:55 BST 2016

Stacey, forgive me for being a contrarian -- your experiences tell you one thing.
And I do agree that at a certain point, there really is nothing you can do.

But, when you compare earthquakes fatalities and damage from countries without
proper building codes, without great health care, without some sort of
infrastructure, without wide-area government coordination -- when you compare the
aftermath of those earthquakes with Christchurch or even Fukushima, you see that
yes, there is a lot we can do to prepare for a devastating earthquake. Both on an
individual basis, and as a group of self-governed people.

It isn't 100 percent safe, of course. It never will be. But without preparation, it
could be much, much worse.

Micki