[LMB] How Barrayaran! Deep-Fried Maple Leaves

M. Haller Yamada thefabmadamem at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 20 01:20:52 BST 2016

I've had them, and they are strangely delicious. The texture of the leaves is a
tiny bit like shrimp tails, but without the shrimp taste, of course. They are
wrapped in a hard, crunchy, sweet, fried batter that forms a crust. Very addictive,
actually, and very good with some sort of astringent tea.

They are often sold as gifts, too, so I've never had fresh-fried. The ones I've
tasted have always been a week or two old (I think they keep for more than a
month).

My MIL will deep-fry perilla (shiso) leaves in regular tempura batter, and those
are super-yummy. Especially with corn and shredded leaves. But of course, perilla
actually has a strong taste. Maple's taste gets lost in the batter, I think. Or
it's very subtle.

Micki