[LMB] Betan Earthquake preparedness

Peter Newman pnewman at gci.net
Wed Apr 20 01:56:26 BST 2016

>  "M. Haller Yamada" <thefabmadamem at yahoo.com> wrote
>
> Stacey, forgive me for being a contrarian -- your experiences tell you one thing.
> And I do agree that at a certain point, there really is nothing you can do.
>
> But, when you compare earthquakes fatalities and damage from countries without
> proper building codes, without great health care, without some sort of
> infrastructure, without wide-area government coordination -- when you compare the
> aftermath of those earthquakes with Christchurch or even Fukushima, you see that
> yes, there is a lot we can do to prepare for a devastating earthquake. Both on an
> individual basis, and as a group of self-governed people.
>
> It isn't 100 percent safe, of course. It never will be. But without preparation, it
> could be much, much worse.

Earthquake related building code restrictions vary even within countries. That’s part
of the reason why there were no injuries from the 7.1 Earthquake here in Alaska in
January. The only buildings that were destroyed were caused by gas leak related fires.

And on a personal note - a 7.1 earthquake is a bit scary, even when the epicenter is
over 150 miles away.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Old_Iliamna_earthquake

ObBujold - I suspect that building codes vary widely between Barrayaran districts, and
disaster preparedness is one of the things that vary the most. Did the nuking
of Vorkosigan Vashnoi prompt Count Piotr to include any radiation safety rules (at
least in the cities, not in the mountains) for future construction?

- Peter