[LMB] Betan Earthquake preparedness

BlueRose stacey at xtra.co.nz
Wed Apr 20 02:47:26 BST 2016

For some reason I didn't get the original reply.  Yes there is some preparation, building better buildings is a big one and an obvious contributor to damage and lives lost in the Nepal and Ecuador quakes. First world countries have better infrastructure and medical setups already.

But when your roads are literally gone, bridges collapsed over rivers, car park buildings collapse with cars in them, sink holes open up in roads big enough to swallow a whole car and you. Can't see cos the roads are two feet deep in liquefaction and or sewerage. When the airport shuts so no one can get in or out, and that includes supplies and emergency personnel.

I remember the quake in the late eighties in the us where there were two layers of highway and the top collapsed on the bottom. It can be as simple as the time of day an event hits.

When there is no where to put the homeless, like post katrina, when even rich first world countries can't organise a cohesive response.

Disaster affects people in different ways, and you think you can plan but until you experience the worst and truly know, you can only hope it's enough. Trouble is bureaucracy does tend to lend itself to the flexibility needed to adapt in a disaster situation.

Stacey

Sent from my iPad while away from my desk