[LMB] OT: Earthquake preparedness

mmjustus at mmjustus.com mmjustus at mmjustus.com
Fri Apr 22 19:06:09 BST 2016

Marina:
> San Diego doesn't get much more than moderate quakes, and sometimes when
> the hot shots are hitting multiple Machs, the windows would rattle as in a
> quake, but the ground didn't move. Hindbrain doesn't worry about those.

At the oil museum in Kilgore, Texas (http://www.easttexasoilmuseum.com/),
the last thing you do before leaving the museum is sit in an auditorium and
watch a movie on the discovery of oil in Texas.  It ends with film of a
gusher, and the theater is constructed to give the people in the seats an
idea of what it felt like to stand near one while it was happening.  My
mother took my sister and then brother-in-law, who lived near San Francisco,
to the museum, and when the seats started shaking, both of them thought it
was an earthquake and headed for the exits.  When my mother took me (who
grew up on the U.S. west coast) to the museum a few months later, she warned
me about it first :-)  I do have to admit it was quite the presentation.

Megaera