[LMB] OT: Earthquake preparedness

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Fri Apr 22 22:18:01 BST 2016

> On Apr 22, 2016, at 12:06 PM, mmjustus at mmjustus.com wrote:
>
> At the oil museum in Kilgore, Texas (http://www.easttexasoilmuseum.com/), the last thing you do before leaving the museum is sit in an auditorium and watch a movie on the discovery of oil in Texas.  It ends with film of a gusher, and the theater is constructed to give the people in the seats an idea of what it felt like to stand near one while it was happening.  My mother took my sister and then brother-in-law, who lived near San Francisco, to the museum, and when the seats started shaking, both of them thought it was an earthquake and headed for the exits.  When my mother took me (who grew up on the U.S. west coast) to the museum a few months later, she warned me about it first :-)  I do have to admit it was quite the presentation.

When I first read Heinlein’s "—And He Built a Crooked House—", I had only lived in California and Mexico City, and I thought it was odd that he assumed that any Californian has an instinct to jump out of houses during an earthquake - unless it was to get a better view.    I never saw anybody react that way - and still haven’t.