[LMB] OT: Earthquake preparedness #2

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Sat Apr 23 00:22:10 BST 2016

I got an empty email of the message below: sending again in case that was a universal occurrence.

On Apr 22, 2016, at 2:18 PM, Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:
> When I first read Heinlein’s "—And He Built a Crooked House—", I had only lived in California and Mexico City, and I thought it was odd that he assumed that any Californian has an instinct to jump out of houses during an earthquake - unless it was to get a better view.    I never saw anybody react that way - and still haven’t.

Given that RAH lived in the Bonny Doon hills of Santa Cruz County, on the N. Pacific Plate, for at least a couple of decades before he died there, I'm a bit surprised he didn't re-examine a story written before moving next to dear St. Andrew's Fault, and understanding the quake experience.

I shall have to look that up--can't remember what year in which I read it last. *I* have never had any urge to jump out during EQs!

A. Marina Fournier
Saffronrose at me.com