[LMB] Betan Earthquake preparedness

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 23 12:38:30 BST 2016

> From: mmjustus at mmjustus.com

> Recently I tried to watch The 33 - a movie about some gold miners who
> get trapped underground when their tunnel is caved in by earth
> movement.  I lasted about 30 minutes before I had to stop - even now its
> too raw and I wasn't even here when the actual quakes hit but I lived
> through over 11000 (yes eleven thousand) aftershocks over the next
> couple of years.
> Stacey

When I was at school there was a fashion for books about bushfires -
no idea why (hey, let's traumatise the kids even more!) so I read Ash
Road and February Dragon, and had nightmares about bushfires for
years.

Now I live in a bushfire zone that tends to get quite exciting most
summers.

> If it makes you feel better (which it probably doesn't), it's been almost 17
> years since I rolled my car out in the middle of the Mojave Desert, and I
> *still* can't watch car chases in the movies (one of the major reasons I
> don't do James Bond movies anymore).
> Megaera

Seventeen years ago I was in a car accident when some twit pulled out
right in front of me, unavoidably close (unavoidable considering the fast
oncoming traffic, bus in the lane beside me and service station - gas
 station - beside us. Plus he had a trailer on the back, blocking any move
around him. Nowhere to turn to avoid him. So I hit him.)

Last week a car pulled into the lane beside me - quite safely - but I still
flinched. I really thought I'd have stopped that by now.

Gwynne