[LMB] Penric 18 and closure

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 25 17:28:13 BST 2016

> From: "M. Haller Yamada" thefabmadamem at yahoo.com

> I'm going to blame Disney Princesses for skewing the princess narrative. In the
> historical narrative, there were not that many perky, beautiful princesses with
> agency. Maybe a few, but it must have been much more common that princesses who
> wouldn't be married would get farmed out/insinuated into the power structure of
> national religious establishments. I really liked seeing this in this book. In CoC,
> our princess was brave and daring and a fairly young adult. PoS, our "princesss"
> was a dowager queen. It's rather nice to see a princess as a business woman and
> political leader.
> Micki

We don't know that the Princess isn't married. There's no tradition of
celibate clergy here, so she could be married with half a dozen kids - it's
not mentioned because it's not relevant to the story (and isn't it a nice
change that a female character's marital status is unimportant.)

In European history most princesses were married off or became a nun,
but maybe in the 5GU they can be married off politically or go into the
church and marry by choice. A ban on inheriting through the female line
would make their offspring less of a political problem (also the father
is less likely to be from the nobility, again making the offspring less of a
problem.)  Yep, sounds like a good deal to me.

Gwynne