[LMB] Fwd: old comment location

Anthony de Boer adb at adb.ca
Thu Apr 28 13:13:44 BST 2016

Lois McMaster Bujold wrote:
> Somewhere in the billions of word in the chat list archives there is a
> post from me, or two or three, explaining yet again that no, _Shards of
> Honor_ was never a piece of Star Trek fanfic.
> https://www.goodreads.com/questions/738167-was-shards-of-honor-ever-a-star

I seem to recall a particular Trek episode in which Kirk and the other
ship's captain are isolated together on some otherwise-deserted planet
and Kirk reinvents gunpowder.  The parallels between that and SoH are
maybe a bit notable, though a TV plot resolved in a few minutes doesn't
even begin to match the Great Novel.  I'd anticipated that example in
your article and was surprised to not see it mentioned.

Ahh, here it is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arena_%28Star_Trek:_The_Original_Series%29

and it notes there was yet another author's work they stumbled across
and considered too close to what they'd already at that point written.
Plotspace is an asteroid belt by now.

--
Anthony de Boer