[LMB] Penric 18 and closure

Eric Oppen ravenclaweric at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 18:34:07 BST 2016

Sending younger nobles into the Church did have good points, both from the
POV of their families and the POV of the church.

Their families didn't have to worry about endless "cadet" lines of cousins
that would need to be provided for, and might complicate claims in the
future.  And they had an "in" with the Church, which was very useful.

Meanwhile, the Church got recruits who had an "in" with the nobility, could
deal with them with greater ease than those of lower birth, and often had
greater experience of the world.