[LMB] LMB] Penric's Demon is a Hugo Finalist!

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Fri Apr 29 05:38:51 BST 2016

On Apr 28, 2016, at 07:52 PM, "M. Haller Yamada" <thefabmadamem at yahoo.com> wrote:

Oh dear. Well, my opinion is that groups are very useful for us to find like-minded
literature, whatever our mindset should be.

AMF: I have several books, e- and pb, waiting in TBR Hill, that one or the other of you have recommended: a Martha Grimes mystery, a Ruth Reichl memoir of Paris, and I can't recall what other titles. If not for me, then the books will go to some of those Free Library boxes that are found in front of quite a few homes around here. I wish I knew where my homeless friend is, because I've got books for that avid reader. Steve could be on this list--he's been the odd one out, too bright for those around him, not well understood because of the way his brain (and many of ours) work. He self-medicated for emotional comfort, and later for chronic pain. He's easy to like--very intelligent, articulate, enthusiastic, and sweet. We got into a discussion of Heinlein at one point....

MHY:
Groups shouldn't be used to determine opinion for serious readers (for example:
"Oh, Locus likes it, so I like it, too, never mind what my actual reading
experience was").

amf: Whereas we here will tend to think, Listee X likes this, so perhaps I might as well. With reviewers anywhere, it depends on the particular reviewer, as you may find Reviewer Y enjoys what you do, or that if Reviewer Q likes it, I'll avoid it like the hounds of The Hunt.

MHY: And "Penric" being on a certain slate will just introduce him and Desdemona to new readers who may have thought they had girl-cooties, but discover that they don't  after all.

giggle

MHY: And if some group -- from any of the sides in this dogfight -- cut off their own noses to spite their faces, let us hand them a tissue without comment.

This line took my brain to two disparat-ish places:

The Ballad of Erica Levine, next to last verse:
When Erica Levine was twenty-three
Her lover said "Erica, marry me.
This relationship is answering a basic need
And I'd like to have it legally guaranteed.
For without your precious love I would surely die
So why can't we make it legal?" Said Erica, "Why?
Basic needs, at your age, should be met by you;
I'm your lover, not your mother---let's be careful what we do.
If I should ever marry, I will marry to grow,
Not for tradition, or possession or protection. No!
I love you, but your needs are a very different issue."
Then he cried, and Erica handed him a tissue.

and, something I first heard from folklorist, singer/songwriter, and witch: Holly Tannen, during her tour for her album, Rime of the Ancient Matriarch: Let them mount up upon themselves, if they cannot see the humor therein.

Yeah, that's how my background mind makes connections.

Marina