[LMB] Two magazine articles worth attention

Lois Aleta Fundis loisaletafundis at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 20:05:41 BST 2016

On topic:: The newest issue of Analog has in the "Reference Library"
section a very nice review of "Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen". Not *too*
many spoilers in the review but a few.

Also, somewhat less related, the March-April 2016 issue of the Library of
Congress Magazine has an article about Cordelia and Miles' possible distant
ancestor, James Naismith, the inventor of basketball. At least, I like to
imagine that connection.

Apparently a researcher recently discovered an actual recorded interview
with Dr. Naismith in the LIbrary's Recorded Sound Section. This magazine
should be available on the library's website, www.loc.gov, or (for those in
the US, anyway) at a Federal Depository Library near you -- that's how our
library receives it! The article notes, among other things, that Naismith
did not, as seems to have been believed by some, a Scottish brogue -- he
was born in Canada -- but instead "sounded like an elderly gentleman from
the Midwest." And a sidebar lists Naismith's original 13 rules for the game.

Filkers may also appreciate the articles about folk music that are also in
this issue.
--
Lois Aleta Fundis
loisaletafundis at gmail.com

"I don't know anybody who can really explain music -- what it does to the
brain, what it does to the heart. But it does something that we need." --
Bruce Springsteen