[LMB] Two magazine articles worth attention

Rachel anglerfish at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 14:42:11 BST 2016

>  The article notes, among other things, that Naismith
> did not, as seems to have been believed by some, a Scottish brogue -- he
> was born in Canada -- but instead "sounded like an elderly gentleman from
> the Midwest." And a sidebar lists Naismith's original 13 rules for the
> game.
>
> --
> Lois Aleta Fundis

I recently got to watch a video that included my paternal grandfather. He
died before I was born and has been a bit of a family legend, so it was
cool to actually get to see him living and breathing. What really struck me
though was his, to be, unplaceable accent. He was born in Wales but I don't
think there's much Welsh in his accent. It's sort of more of a. . . 1950s
accent? Historical accents must change quickly and I suppose before the
invention of sound recording we don't have a good idea of what people
actually sounded like.

Video:
http://www.cbc.ca/archives/entry/superheroes-to-call-our-own