[LMB] Book subtitles

Lois McMaster Bujold lbujold at myinfmail.com
Mon Aug 1 14:58:56 BST 2016

[LMB] Book subtitles
Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Mon Aug 1 13:29:48 BST 2016

HB:  I got an e-mail from Amazon recommending for me _Shards of Honor
(Vorkosigan Saga Book 2)_ and _Barrayar (Vorkosigan Saga Book 3)_.    I
hadn’t seen those subtitles before.

LMB:  It would be really interesting to know what autobot triggered your
message, and how/why; not my doing, anyway.

The subtitles are an artifact of Amazon's rigid automated series-listing
constraints.  One has to choose a single series order, which is numbered
and insists on calling the whatever a "book", even when it's a shorter
piece.  (Most lately with the two Penric novellas.)  We chose to go with
internal-chronological for the VK-verse, which rather artificially casts
_Falling Free_ as "Book 1" even though it was the 4th book I wrote and
had published.  Which at least has resulted in an uptick of sales for
_FF_, but may be a bit confusing for some new readers when they go on to
_Shards_ and it's not more of the same.  Well, as long as they're
reading _something_...

It's worth doing despite the awkward constraints, because then one taps
into the automated series cross-referencing which helps more people find
more of the books.  And, of course, helps those who want to start and
read "in order".

I have appended my own more fluid Bujold reading-order guide at the tail
end of every direct-placement e-book, but, of course, no prospective
customer sees that till they've already bought and read at least one
e-book.  (And noticed it there.)  A bit late off the mark, but it's
something.  But, really, most book browsers want something simpler and
more succinct than a 2000-word essay when shopping.

Ta, L.