[LMB] OT: School days

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Mon Aug 1 20:59:37 BST 2016

On 08/01/2016 01:36 PM, Beatrice Otter wrote:
> Beatrice Otter:I think it's a regional thing more than a generational
> one. They have always started in September in Oregon, and I live in
> ND now, where they've always started in August and the few schools
> moving to start in September are looked on as innovators screwing up
> everyone else's sports schedule.

I believe the school start and end dates are built around a fixed number
of school days. The difference is in holidays. Also, in areas further
north, the expected number of snow days.

I find it funny though that snow in North Dakota or Colorado that would
close a school in Texas, we just laugh at it and expect students to show
up anyway. After all, the school buses all have snow chains and the
parents are all expected to make it to work in anything less than a foot
deep. In Texas I hear they all panic and close the state if they get a
couple of inches. So the number of snow days in different regions often
turn out to be similar.