[LMB] OT: School days

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Mon Aug 1 21:46:27 BST 2016

On Mon, Aug 01, 2016 at 04:15:08PM -0400, Katrina Knight wrote:
> At 03:36 PM 8/1/2016 Beatrice Otter wrote:
>
> >Beatrice Otter:I think it's a regional thing more than a
> >generational one. They have always started in September in Oregon,
> >and I live in ND now, where they've always started in August and
> >the few schools moving to start in September are looked on as
> >innovators screwing up everyone else's sports schedule.
>
> The timing of the school year has definitely changed where I live.
> School used to always start the Wednesday after Labor Day. After a
> couple of years that had a ridiculous number of snow days, it got
> moved back into August. The snow days were a problem because state
> law requires that there be 180 days of school and there's a time
> limit as to when they can happen. Starting earlier gives the school
> districts more time to make up snow days if necessary.

Some places (college/university, not sure about HS or primary school)
moved, some time back, to start in Aug instead of Sep, so that the
first semester could be completed before Christmas/New Year, then the
second semester would start when the students came back from the
holiday. Previously, there would be a week or two of first semester
after the holiday, then exams, then a break, then 2nd semester.

  Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government there will be no end. He
 will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding