[LMB] OT: School days

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Mon Aug 1 23:40:19 BST 2016

> On Aug 1, 2016, at 1:59 PM, Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org> wrote:
>
> I find it funny though that snow in North Dakota or Colorado that would
> close a school in Texas, we just laugh at it and expect students to show
> up anyway. After all, the school buses all have snow chains and the
> parents are all expected to make it to work in anything less than a foot
> deep. In Texas I hear they all panic and close the state if they get a
> couple of inches. So the number of snow days in different regions often
> turn out to be similar.

My sister had to abandon her car on a freeway in Atlanta because of a snow storm that wouldn’t have slowed her down in snowy country.

The claim that school years are designed for farmers doesn’t make sense to me - farmer kids are needed more in planting and harvesting seasons.     Now being in a school house in the middle of a hot summer might not be productive.    I once lived a couple of years in Mexico City, going to school for 3 months on, one month off.   Same total of months per year, but in smaller doses.