[LMB] OT: School days

Jelbelser jelbelser at comcast.net
Tue Aug 2 03:15:15 BST 2016

> my kids having grown up in New England, when my son was in college in
> TN he thought it was hilarious the way they closed everything down for
> a half-inch of snow.

Thing is, lots of time we don't get snow, we get ice. If we do get snow, it turns into ice on the roads. Counties have salt to put on roads, but not plows.

Also, the roads may be 95% clear, but if there are a few areas where the roads still aren't safe (shady, hilly, curvy roads) they close the schools so that kids living in those areas are not put in danger getting to school or miss days everyone else is in class. This may not be the correct decision, but it is what they go by.

Janet in TN, who has driven on enough frozen roads that I swore never to do it again